Monday 19 August 2013

Book Recommendation: A Coming Evil by Vivian Vande Velde

No, this story doesn't come off as one of those horrifying thrillers with (what?) kids as protagonists. Nope. It's better and lighter (in most parts), but still thrilling in a not-too-graphic sense.

If you can see that red symbol -- and I think almost everyone knows this -- it's the Nazi symbol. That dreaded symbol was used in the days of War, or more specifically, during World War II. So there you go, with barbed wires and a young girl looking at a pretty transparent guy with the Nazi symbol below (and don't forget the title), it's a pretty complicated story with a historical theme and supernatural lore.

(When can I write a proper book review?)

Lisette is a 13-year-old French girl who was sent to the countryside by her parents (who obviously think that staying far away from the big, big city is safer) to live with her Aunt Josephine. Lisette's may not be liking it (with an annoying cousin in tow!), but she got more problems ahead: her Aunt was actually hiding 2 Gypsies and 3 Jewish children! And on top of it all, she met a ghost who died during the Crusades!

First off, the story is nice, it gives off the wary feeling (them soldiers are lurking everywhere), and the lots of what and why you will encounter later in the book. As far as I know, lots of information will be exchanged, an escape plan will occur, and lalalala!

I'm sorry, I just can't help trying to lighten the slightly dark mood a bit. I also love Lisette and Gerard's (the ghost) relationship. But I will still ask the why --

Anyways, Velde's one of my favorite authors, so I'll give the link to her website here: www.vivianvandevelde.com



Night, everyone :D

No comments:

Post a Comment