Monday 1 July 2013

Book recommendations: Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

Finally, a Scottish book where I can find Scottish characters and a Scottish setting and a Scottish accent!

Alright. I'm sorry if I was exaggerating. I just love reading things about either the Irish, the Welsh, or the Scottish (I was hoping for a fantasy-driven plot, but oh well, it was enjoyable).

Now. Robert Louis Stevenson. Does that name ring a bell in your head? Yes? No? Alright. Does the title Treasure Island got your attention? (I think there are modern pirate stories that have this title, but yes, you have the one and only Treasure Island) If yes, proceed reading. If no, proceed reading as well.

I think I mentioned something. This is a pirate story -- no, wait, let me get that straight. THIS is an adventure story, set upon the Scottish moors with beer-drinking and lots of chasings with gunshots and beers and --

Anyways, the story is about a young man named David Balfour (how I love that surname!), who was about to inherit a hefty price of money from his deceased father, when his Uncle snooped his nose in and asked some pirates to kidnap the poor lad. He was able to escape, of course. This wasn't purely a pirate story where you can steal (hey, they did steal) and sleep in an inn (stayed in once or twice) and accused of killing somebody (no, just guilty of murder).

There is a ... rivalry -- no, how can I describe this? Mutual dislike for the Scottish who remain, Scottish, against to those Scots who are what Alan called 'Whiggy'. The whole events were mingled with some historical fact, but not accurately correct.

All in all, it was enjoyable, it was not really a boy's novel (at least to me), and the themes were well. Alright. Down to the next book, let me see (it has a sequel, and I want to buy it)...

No comments:

Post a Comment