Monday 1 July 2013

Book recommendations: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

A heartwarming story where it involves four young girls embarking on their journey to become respectable women. Set in the year-where-I-wasn't-born-yet and in the age where America was still filled with depressing civil wars, it tells with an old-fashioned way of defining every nook and cranny that's happening within every chapter. It makes the story longer, but more enjoyable.

I have no problems with the story, except with some few progresses that bothers me in a confusingly-good-and-bad-way; no spoilers for you, dear readers. The best part will always happen halfway to the end of the book.

And there are the characters with distinctive traits! (And I can easily tell who can end up with whom, though I was confused with Jo's part) Margaret, or Meg, is the eldest. Beautiful, elegant, refined, dainty, but sometimes a bit of choosy when it comes to living matters, but all is well. She is a nice, respectable older sister who looks upon her younger sisters well.

My favorite is Jo, or Josephine, the second eldest. She is rough, playful, stubborn, reckless, optimistic, and a bit tomboyish at times. Best of all, she is an aspiring writer! But although I can say that I like her because of that, her determined stature when faced with a problem is admirable, and she writes wonderful poems and stories as well. She is a sister who can be a brother at some times, but will always prefer to be the tough sister who will look among her sisters for their safety.

Next is Beth, or Elizabeth, the third eldest. She is very sweet, quiet and simple in her ways, and can be fragile. I don't have much to say anything about her, but I do find her adorable, and I agree with the characters in the story. She is a musically-gifted person, she plays the piano, and everybody loves her.

Last but never the least, is Amy. She is a girl who prefers to be a woman already. She is wonderful in her ways, but there is one thing that bothers me about her (her spelling mishaps were funny, though). I have nothing much to say about her, but I can see her as the pink sister who is primmer and more proper than how those two words can describe her.

Though there were some tragedies (oops), and several twists within the story, everything evolves to that of a wonderful family tale that can truly touch the reader's heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment